Saturday, January 10, 2009

Mt. Cook and Work Prospects

I think I may have figured out how to have photos not crop- We'll see how this turns out. The photos here are as follows- Mt. Sefton, Aoroki, and Aoroki from where I camped. All photos here- http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2350385&l=2f5da&id=10223429





Two days ago I dropped Jen off at the airport in Christchurch and she headed back to Colorado. All in all we did have an excellent time together in so New Zealand, and it was a hard goodbye, but it will only be two months till we are together again in Phuket, Thailand.

After dropping Jen off I researched seasonal jobs at the library in Christchurch and then headed off towards Wanaka, determined to find work in Otago and not in Marlborough where most other seasonal jobs are. Although there are lots more jobs in the Marlborough area, it is much hotter up there, farther away from the big mountains, and to be honest I don't like it nearly as much.

I drove until finding an incredible camp spot right on Lake Pukaki. Although it was dark, I could see the far off glow of the snowfields and glaciers of Aoroki in the light from the nearly full moon. There was a special feeling to the place. Upon waking up I was greeted with one of the most picturesque views in my life, with the waters of Lake Pukaki (an almost impossible glacier blue color) reflecting the high peaks of Aoroki/Mount Cook National Park.


I spent the day yesterday hiking around the park, enjoying the views of the high peaks and glaciers. Although I've climbed mountains significanly higher than the mountains in the park, the mountains there were much bigger and more dramatic than I think I've ever seen before. It is really beyond words how awe inspiring it is.


Early in the day, I visited the Alpine Memorial, which is dedicated to the more than 200 people who lost their lives in the park. Family members and friends dedicate plaques to thier fallen loved ones detailing their lives. Many of the fallen climbers are under the age of 23. It was a sobering reminder of the power of the mountains and the price they can cost.


Last night I drove to Wanaka and found a camp spot on the lake. Two French couples in their mid to late 30s were camping there, and they invited me for a drink and dinner. Being that I had only eated a small dinner at that point, I was happy to oblige. We spent the night talking about life, traveling, international relations, and downing every available bottle of wine. Turns out the two guys are both French Chefs, and they cooked some incredible steak and lamb cutlets right ont he camp fire. It was a real treat, and I am very thankful for thier generosity.


Today I went back into Wanaka intent on finding work, which I did at a farm about 2 hours southeast in Roxburgh. I'm going to be trying my hand at fruit picking (apricots and cherries) and hopefully making some money before heading off to Thailand on February 20th. Perhaps on my days off I'll be able to return to Wanaka and Mt. Aspring for more hiking and possibly some climbing in the park. I also hope that I will be working with good people and actually getting a bit of a cultural exchange with Kiwis for once!


1 comment:

Anton Seim said...

Perhaps you've inspired me, I just bought a ticket to New Zealand, leaving L.A. on May 5th. I'm enjoying the blog!