Wednesday, December 10, 2008

On to New Zealand!

Someday I will figure out how to intersperse all my photos. Oh well.















My time in Fiji ended very well. My last few days at the Octopus were wonderful. I went on a guided hike to the second highest peak in the Yasawa Island chain the day before I left and then spent the rest of my last day snorkeling and relaxing on the beach. That night several Aussies and I drank an entire liter of Jim Beam to celebrate our last night on the Island. I was about to go to bed when I ran into Chris, the manager and his wife Kylie who were hanging out with two friends who were visiting. Chris and Kylie are in their late 30s and have two boys under the age of 6. I can't even imagine how incredible it must be for the boys to spend several years of thier childhood on Waya Island at the Octopus. Turns out Kylie used to live in Vail so we had lots to talk about. Chris, Pete, and I closed out the bar and Chris even kept 2 bartenders on well after the bar was closed to keep bringing us drinks. It was such good way to end my time on the island.

The next day I headed back to Nadi and the Blue Water Lodge. As much as I loved the Octopus (how could you not?), I think the service at the Blue Water Lodge might be even better which is really incredible considering it costs on $11 US a night. It was great to see Joe, Fioana, and Mike one last time before leaving Fiji.

I ended up spending my last evening at a restaurant in Nadi with Trina from Alberta and Josh from Melbourne- two people I had met at the Octopus. Trina is about to finish out 4 months of travel around Australia and New Zealand and Josh is on his way back to Australia after 6 months in Canada.

Perhaps the best part of my last night in Nadi is that I was sharing a room with a climber from the UK who has spent the past year traveling and mountaineering in 20 countries around the world. He gave me invaluable information about the time I will spend in Nepal and India, and probably changed my itinerary for the better. More on this later, but lets just say that the idea of climbing 6,000 meter peaks while I'm in Nepal this next spring is quite probable at this point. I never would have expected to meet someone like Christos in Fiji, but I'm sure glad I did because I have a feeling I just may see him again in the mountains someday.

Anyway, I got into Auckland earlier today and I am very excited to be here. I had pretty much no problems getting a work permit with my visa and customs and immigration was a breeze. They even cleaned my mountaineering boots for me for free! I'm not one to really enjoy major metropolitan areas, but I think Auckland may be my ideal city. It is like a better San Fransisco without any bad areas. I won't get to spend much time here this time around since I'm heading to Christchurch tomorrow but I will undoubtedly spend time here another time around. Jen moved here itinerary up by one day and will meet up with me in less than 3 days in Christchurch. I can't wait to see her.



All photos here-
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2339894&l=1c110&id=10223429